Derry or Londonderry?

graffiti with Derry Girls. photo Lidia Fedio




Londonderry (by locals called only Derry) is the second biggest city In North Ireland. About 85 thousands’ people live there. City is very large and located near “Foyle” river.

Let’s talk about history. The first mentions about Derry are from VI century when st. Kolumba founded there a monastery. In 1698 during Ireland war , protestant people in Derry was attacked by Catholics’. Inhabitants won. In 1972 happened situation called “bloody Sunday”. Soldiers of British paratroopers Army killed 13 persons of demonstrators. 

Guild Hall on the city market photo by Lidia Fedio

I visited Derry on a school trip in May 2019.

I could see what it looks like. The city is beautiful and HUGE. If you want to go to somewhere in Derry you should take a taxi or drive by car.( unless you have free hour and then you can go on foot and breathe fantastic Irish air). There are no flats in Ireland. I  was very surprised about that because in Poland we have lots of them. 

Derry - view from the city walls. photo Lidia Fedio


People in Derry are kind and obliging, when you want to go somewhere in city you can ask someone on the street. My favorite place in Derry is the “Peace Bridge” a large bridge which cross the “Foyle”. But i wasn’t in Derry only for sightseeing. North West Academy of English. That was a reason. I went there witch my teachers and schoolmates. The language school was profesional and cool! I have experienced many adventures and I saw lot’s of fantastic places. Honestly that was my first foregin trip. In the future maybe I will go back there.

Michał Moskwa 8H









Comments