"Teenagers in Poland have a lot of potential" Interview with Angel from Colombia



questions by Michalina Łukaszuk & Dominika Kruk 3a
edited by Michalina Łukaszuk

GDAŃSK, OCTOBER 2018

Angel is a volunteer from Colombia, now studying in Poland. We first met him last January at Euroweek. Recently he has visited us for a couple of days with 2 other Colombian volunteers to share with students at our school a bit of their country's culture. But we wanted to know more than just that. We were interested in the people who devoted a part of their time to come and talk to us. So by the end of their visit, we (a group of students and teachers) took a trip to Gdańsk with them, and that's where we did this interview.

Michalina: First, can you introduce yourself.
Hello! My name is Angel. I'm 25 years old. I am from Colombia, from a city called Cartagena in the seaside of my country.

Dominika: Our first question for you is: Why did you become a volunteer?
I did it because sometimes in life to know you bettered yourself, the best way is to things for other people without receiving anything in change. Because when, in this situation when you will see who you really are.

D: Was Euroweek your first voluntary work?
It was my first voluntary work in Europe, but not in my life. I started to be a volunteer when I was about 8 years old.


M: What were you doing then?
In that time I was a tourist guide, but only for kids. So I was 8 years old and I had small tourists who wanted to know my city, but not with the boring old guide. So they had a kid in their age to show them around.

M: That's so cool! But let's face it, volunteering is not that easy. What are the biggest problems connected with it?
Hmmm... Sometimes is about motivation. I'm talking about feelings. If you want to be a good volunteer you have to have the right motivation.
Sometimes is about more technical things. There are organizations that promote voluntary programs that have complicated paperwork and they also can be expensive. So a lot of people that want to be a volunteer don't have the access to this kind of programs.

D: Travelling is a huge part of the type of voluntary service you do. Which of the places you visited so far was your favourite?
It's really hard to choose... For example 5 of my favourite cities in Europe would be: Budapest, Vienna, Prague, Paris...and if I had to choose another one...
M: Gdańsk maybe?
(laughing) Of course Gdańsk!

D: What did you know about Poland before coming here?
Before coming here I knew that it is one of the coldest countries in Europe. Also that during one time you were a communist country.
You are famous in our side of the world for having really beautiful girls.
D&M: (laughing) Thank you.

D: What was the biggest culture shock?
Almost everything!

M: What did you expect it to be?
I expected it to be cold, of course, but most of the cultural shock was about the behavior of the people. Because most of the things that for me are normal are not common here, and the opposite way.
M: I guess we're pretty reserved in conversations and such.
Yes. And in my culture, people are open and outgoing in conversation and in general.

D: Poland isn't known for being a tolerant country. Have you ever witnessed any intolerance towards you being here?
I have heard a lot about it, but luckily until now, I haven't suffered from it.

D: We don't like the intolerance. We hope people's mindset will change.
You, the young generation, have the power to make a change in your country.

D: Besides all that, do you see any similarities between Poland and Colombia?
It's surprising but there are a lot of similarities between them. Europe and South America are really really different, but if you make a comparison Poland is the most similar in some small things, more related to the warmth of the people. Maybe they are reserved and cold at the beginning, but when you get to know them they are one of the warmest and kindest people you can meet and also really good hosts. So like in Colombia.

M: What about Polish youth? How are we different from Colombian teenagers?
I think the teenagers in Poland have a lot of potential, but you could be even more powerful if for a moment you try to be less shy and more outgoing. Sometimes I see students have the power to do a lot but don't do it just because they feel shy, judged or they don't believe in themselves. You only have to try. That's all.

D: That's a great advice. What do you remember the most after a trip like this?
Most of the things that I always remember are interactions with people. And there are the best things. Because sometimes I don't really remember the place, but only what happened with the people in that place. It's like I don't remember the coffee, but I remember a nice coffee time with some person there.

D: That's interesting. What are your plans after you end Euroweek?
Actually, I ended Euroweek a month ago. Now I'm a student in Wrocław.


M: What are you studying?
­I study communication management. In Polish komunikacja kierunkowa. I'm doing a master degree for the next 2 years, but still, because I really like to volunteer I visit schools like yours in my free time.

M: Now the last and the most important question of this whole interview. Do you have IKEA in Colombia? You know, the furniture store?
In Colombia, we know about IKEA, but we don't have it. (laugh)

M: And that would be the end. Thank you for your time!
D: Yes, thanks so much.
Thank you for the interview. :)

We hope you enjoyed reading this as much as we enjoyed doing it. Seeing the volunteers again was an absolute pleasure. We learned a lot, taught a lot, practiced our English skills and all around had a great time.

Michalina & Dominika 3a

Comments